Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Fire .... Fighters!

Hola amigos! Today I am going to tell you about a way of getting rid of the heat from that salsa you love or from that hot pepper you ate.... How many times have you tried to fight the heat in your mouth with water or soda or a cold drink? I am sure it's been many times! and I hope you already learned that drinking something doesn't help, on the contrary it spreads that horrible sensation even more.... Have you ever tried spilling some water over hot oil? it just makes it go "crazy"... There are certain "fires" that cannot be extinguished with water, and the heat from a hot pepper is one of those cases, hot peppers have seeds and veins, and they contain oils which cause the heat and that is why it is so hard to get rid of it.

But, do not worry... The solution is really simple:  SALT, just grab a pinch of salt and eat it, try to dissolve it in your tongue and swallow it, that is by far the most effective way to "break" those oils.

Don't take me wrong, I love FIRE in my food, but CONTROLLED fire, I don't like being in pain. Eating should be an enjoyable experience, I love the flavor of a good chili pepper but I don't enjoy feeling like my whole mouth is burning.

If you want to mostly "AVOID" the fire from your peppers, make sure you remove not only the seeds but the veins too (do this using latex gloves) and start eating a small amount and add more to taste as desired. You will notice that your tolerance for heat will increase the more often you try fiery foods!

 Picture above: My poor gringo added too much salsa to his taco.

Provecho!

Paloma.

2 comments:

This blog requires word verification due to so much spam out there, sorry! Thank you for leaving a comment!